The mold is sighted, now a mold remover is needed. First, it should be said that the discovery of the fungus is not immediately accompanied by an acute danger to life and limb. The intensity and the type of mold, the frequency of use of the affected space and their demarcation to the residential sections are also crucial.
It is in any case a hygienic problem to be treated. The burden should be reduced. Removing the mold is the best way to rule out illnesses and to sleep peacefully.
- Remove mold– Immediate refurbishment is not possible, perhaps for cost reasons? A superficial cleaning can temporarily provide relief. In this case, as little dust as possible should be stirred up. Depending on the humidity, 70 to 80 percent ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is recommended for cleaning . If it is properly ventilated, spread of the fungus can be prevented.
- Smooth surfaces – The mold is easier to eliminate nowhere, such as on glass, metal or ceramic. The pest infestation can not penetrate deeply here and can be cleaned with a simple household cleaner. The used sponge should then be thrown away.
- Removable materials – wallpaper and plasterboard canbe expertly exchanged . Removing mold is possible here by changing the entire culture medium. If only the wall covering is removed, it must be checked whether the mold infestation also affects the area behind it.
- Clean wood surfaces – Mold on wood can penetrate at different depths. The woody blue is a superficial occurrence, which can be easily eliminated. If the fungus penetrates deeper, a grinding or, if possible, disposal of the wooden components remains as a measure.
- Cleaning furniture – The best mold remover for furniture is also ethyl alcohol, For smooth surfaces, on tables or chairs, a simple wipe can be enough. If the mold has penetrated into upholstered furniture, such as the couch or armchair, the effort of removing it is practically never worthwhile. Even carpets, curtains, other fabrics and textiles (eg clothing) can rarely be rescued with reasonable effort.
- Treat silicone joints – If the joints are only superficially affected, they can be wiped over with a damp cloth . Again, we recommend a subsequent cleaning with alcohol. Smoking and naked flames are to be avoided at work and afterwards. In addition, only small amounts of ethyl alcohol should be used.
- Take protective measures – The mold must not be touched with bare hands.Protective gloves prevent direct contact. A safety goggles and respirator secure eyes and respiratory system. Without mask and without mask is by no means to work.
- Washing – After the mold removal is completed, the used clothing should be cleaned . Furthermore, a personal body wash, at best in the shower, make.
- Use home remedies – Other mold removal agents are methylated spirits or isopropyl alcohol(also called isopropyl alcohol), which work because of the alcohol content. They clean, disinfect and dry out the affected areas. Also, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) or chlorine are often recommended as it destroys the cell walls of fungi. For white tile joints, soda can also be used. Vinegar and citric acid are controversial as home remedies.
- Assign specialist personnel – Removing the mold is an essential task. If you do not feel up to this, you turn to a specialist . The health of the family always has priority!
Alcohol should always be wiped with a cloth and never sprayed. There is an acute danger of explosion. When removing mold, it is important never to work dry. A thorough procedure is self-evident. After the demolition of the mold, a cleaning of the surrounding area is necessary. Because even a dead fungus can be decisive for diseases. Remove removed material and used cleaning utensils together in a plastic bag in the household waste.
A vacuum cleaner should only be used for mold removal if it has been tested for leaks according to EN 1822. Otherwise, the fungal infection can be spread throughout the home. At the beginning of 2014 Stiftung Warentest tested 28 products, chemical nuggets, as an anti-mold agent. The rating ranges from “good” to “sufficient”. The Federal Environment Agency points out, however, that chemical agents are not necessary and sometimes even harmful:
“We also advise against the use of chemical fungicides (solutions with fungicides) in the interior, since it can not be ruled out that these active ingredients for a long time indoors remain and endanger the health of the inhabitants. ”
Vinegar is also not recommended by the Federal Environmental Agency, as it can be neutralized in conjunction with building materials such as lime. Nevertheless, if a corresponding product is to be purchased, it is advisable to consult the DIY store (eg Obi or Hornbach). If you want to remove the mold in your home, garden or other environment, you can watch a video on YouTube .
Attention: Expertise is required when painting over. If normal color is used, the fungus can continue to spread unnoticed.